Followers

Saturday 4 August 2012

The Importance of being Cultural

When I started writing, I branded myself as an INTERRACIAL romance author and though Broken Wings was not Interracial, that thought of writing a mix of cultures has not changed.  I live in Canada, most of you know that. And we have this badge as being one of the most multi-cultural countries in the world.  I go to school and there are Russians, Mexicans, Jamaicans, Pakistanis, Iraqis, Native, French, Israeli, Palestinians--you name it I've been to school with them.


Why did I chose to write IR? Well I really hate it when people hate each other for the expressed reason of their differences.  I live by the saying "if we weren't meant to interact, we wouldn't all be here." Simple right? It is a waste of time hating someone else because of where they were born and who they were born to. The person has no control over that nor did they have a choice. So why not embrace that? There is so much we can learn from each other.  


It is important for me to be cultural because when it comes to love, you can't really pick who you love. I mean look at who your family is. Sometimes they drive you nuts and as much as you would like to sell them on ebay, you can't. Not only because I think there is some pesky law against that, but you can't because they are family and you have to love them.  You didn't chose them, they're there.


The same goes for a lover.  You walk down the street and you see someone who just catches your eyes and that has nothing to do with the colour of their skin but just for the simply fact that they caught your eyes.  You can pretend not to feel anything, but how much fun is that?


Being cultural teaches you tolerance and love. As corny as that sounds we really, REALLY, REAAAALLY need that right now.  


So let your cultural flag fly. Who knows the wonderful places it can take you?


Love
Kadian Tracey

1 comment:

  1. I love that you write cultural...reading your books is like a lesson in diversity and it is a whole nother element to the story that enriches it. As my father used to say - take off the skin and we are all the same underneath. I'll let you leave the skin on as long as the clothes are off...*waggles brows*

    ReplyDelete